Music video: Ciara - I bet

Music video: Ciara - I bet | Random J Pop

There's only so much of Ciara having a seizure on a white sound stage and cocking her legs open that one can take. She did it in the music video for "Like a boy". She did it in "Love, Sex & Magic". She did it again with "Ride". Aaaaaaand, she's gone and done it again.


With a song like "I bet", Ciara could have given us something gritty and literal to match the song, or something highly stylised and conceptual. Instead we got something which was nothing more than commercial for her weave, her threaded eyebrows and a Sony Xperia. Where is that girl who gave me fly ass videos for "Work" and "Go girl"?

Jermaine Dupri has called out Ciara concerning the similarities between Usher's "U got it bad" (which he co-wrote and produced) and Ciara's "I bet". It was only a matter of time, because it's something that many had flagged because...they do sound alike. Jermaine gave his 2 pence on the whole Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and Marvin Gaye situation, which then sparked him to comment on the likeness between Usher's 2001 smash single and Ciara's latest.
"I'm clear on what I made and I'm clear on how music influences people and I'm clear on chord changes and how people move things. It might not be as evident as the 'Blurred Lines' situation, but I believe the same thing happened to me."
The harpsichord melodies and the melancholic keys that both songs are set in are similar. Of that, there is no denying. But does Jermaine have enough of a case to drag Ciara through court by her lacefront? Not a chance. "Blurred lines" was a straight jacking of Marvin Gaye's "Got to give it up" to a point where I hope somebody asked Pharrell what the hell he was thinking if he thought he could get away with releasing that song and not having to hand the Gaye estate some dollar. But this Jermaine Dupri and Ciara situation is not going to court, so Jermaine is going to have to keep tasting those grapes. I do feel for Jermaine Durpi though. It's been a while since he had a hit, and when you see a clear influence of your work in somebody else without so much as an acknowledgement, of course it would leave you pissed off and salty. One thing he should know if nothing else, Usher's "U got it bad" is a classic and that for one is something which is widely acknowledged.

📝 Ciara album reviews: The evolution | Fantasy ride | Basic instinct

Comments