Perfume perform "Relax in the city" and "Pick me up"

Perfume - Relax in the city / Pick me up | Random J Pop

Perfume's next album should be titled Thirsty, because that's how they have left their fans in-between:
  • Waiting on the next single after their "Cling cling" maxi release
  • Waiting to hear "Pick me up" after everybody done heard "Relax in the city" in the TV commercials
  • Waiting on the live performances of both songs
Thirsts across the Perfume fandom have been quenched...for the most part. I can't speak on those who are parched on waiting for Perfume to perform their B-side jam "Toumen ningen", but the "Relax in the city" and "Pick me up" loving folk are well and truly spoken for.

As is customary for Perfume, the girls have been turning up to TV shows wearing the exact same dresses they wear in the "Relax in the city" and "Pick me up" music videos and single covers. Just to show other hoes how you handle branding and visual consistency.


Relax in the city (Live performance)


Pick me up (Live performance)

The routine for "Relax in the city" almost feels as though it doesn't fit the song. I for one never would have expected the song to open with Kashiyuka getting low and popping her booty whilst doing the "Hurly burly" arm wave.


The great thing about "Pick me up" is that that because Nocchi is all over the song, even with it edited down, she still got her time to shine. Unlike the TV performances of "Laser beam" where the song got edited in such a manner that it cut out Nocchi's sections completely. The actual nerve.

Perfume's performances of "Pick me up" have been nothing special. I feel like "Pick me up" will only truly shine live when its performed in full on a stage which is rigged and setup to fully accommodate it conceptually - something we will not get treated to until their next tour. But I love the song and the choreography. And despite Kashiyuka getting completely side-lined in the song, this does not translate to the routine. I'm not sure what it is about Kashiyuka and the "Pick me up" routine, but she is the one I could not take my eyes off during the hooks in the video and the same goes for the live performances. I can't tell whether it's because I feel sorry for her lack of vocals on the song or if it's because she is working the routine better than Nocchi and A-chan.

Comments